The University of Belize Environmental Research Institute (UB ERI) is a research center that is dedicated to promoting environmental research and conservation in Belize. Our mission is to conduct scientific research that will contribute to the sustainable management of the country’s natural resources and ecosystems. At UB ERI, we are committed to building capacity through education and training programs that promote environmental awareness and stewardship.
UB ERI was established in 1996, as part of the University of Belize’s mission to promote research and education in the country. Since then, we have become a leading research center in Belize, with a reputation for excellence in environmental research and conservation.
Over the years, we have conducted research on a wide range of environmental issues, from biodiversity and climate change to natural resource management and sustainable agriculture. We have collaborated with a range of organizations and institutions both locally and internationally, and our research findings have been used to inform policy decisions and management practices at all levels.
Our Mission and Vision
Our mission is to promote environmental research and conservation in Belize through scientific research, education, and outreach. We aim to build capacity and raise awareness about environmental issues and promote sustainable management practices for Belize’s natural resources and ecosystems.
Our vision is a Belize where the environment is protected, and natural resources are managed sustainably for the benefit of current and future generations.
At UB ERI, we are guided by the following values:
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in all our research and education activities.
- Integrity: We conduct our work with honesty, transparency, and accountability.
- Collaboration: We believe that effective solutions to environmental issues require the cooperation of multiple stakeholders.
- Innovation: We seek to develop innovative solutions to environmental challenges through our research and education programs.
UB ERI’s team consists of experienced researchers, educators, and practitioners who are dedicated to promoting environmental research and conservation in Belize. Our team members come from a range of disciplines, including ecology, biology, agriculture, and environmental science.
UB ERI collaborates with a range of organizations and institutions both locally and internationally to advance environmental research and conservation efforts in Belize. Our partners include:
The University of Belize: We are part of the University of Belize, which provides us with academic support and infrastructure.
Government Agencies: We work closely with government agencies such as the Forest Department, Fisheries Department, and Department of the Environment to provide scientific advice and support.
International Organizations: We collaborate with international organizations such as the Wildlife Conservation Society, The Nature Conservancy, and the United Nations Development Programme to advance environmental research and conservation efforts.
If you’re interested in getting involved with UB ERI, there are several ways to do so:
- Volunteer: We welcome volunteers who want to contribute to our research and conservation efforts. Volunteers can help with fieldwork, data analysis, and outreach activities.
- Donate: Your donations can help us to continue our research and conservation efforts.
- Collaborate: We are always interested in collaborating with organizations and institutions that share our goals and values.